Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November Great Lakes - Project X


The November edition of Great Lakes Project X was last Thursday. Two special casks were tapped – a Winter Ale with Bourbon Soaked Raisin Flambé and a Swampwater Pale Ale (60% Pompous Ass, 30% My Bitter Wife, 10% Tenish Anyone IIIPA?)


The SwampMaster, an copper-coloured IPA that poured a bit foamy, was deliciously hoppy and yet surprisingly smooth and drinkable (My Bitter Wife was much more aggressively hopped, the SwampMaster was more subtle..)

The Winter Ale with Raisin Flambe was very unusual. Also copper-coloured, it was sweet, but the sweetness wasn’t cloying, and didn’t linger. I could both smell and taste the raisins. I’ve never had anything quite like it – sweeter beers are usually stronger but the Winter Ale cask didn’t have particularly high alcohol content. It was very interesting.

Apart from that, Great Lakes’ regular offerings were on tap – the Golden Horseshoe lager, the Red Leaf and the current seasonal, the Winter Ale.

According to their website, the Winter Ale has cinnamon, honey, ginger and orange peel. I’ve got to re-taste – I thought it had cloves and nutmeg, and I certainly couldn’t taste the ginger or the orange peel. However, the spices combine together to make this a delicious sit-by-the-fire-and-drink-all-night-long beer.

Good times were had by all.
I'm posing with John from Great Lakes.


What can I say? The beer was good, and some silliness happened. We closed the place down.

No comments:

Post a Comment