Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Beer bits and pieces

Yikes, what a busy couple of weeks! I've barely spent an hour a day at home. It's times like these that I envy the full-time beer industry people. Their jobs will allow for things like OCB week. Mine? Not so much.

Anyway, I thought I'd atleast try to highlight all the things I wanted to talk about. Eventually, I'll find the time to write proper posts. Eventually.

- Mondial. I still haven't transferred the photos from my camera to my laptop. I need to do this quickly, since the longer I wait, the more likely it is that I forget what I drank.

- Ten Bitter Years. It turns out that we had the first available half-keg of 10 Bitter Years at Michael's party. Woo hoo! It took some work for the foam to settle down, but the beer? So incredible.

At Michael's party, I had brought a couple of double IPAs to taste from San Francisco - Russian River's Pliny the Elder and Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Ale. About 6-8 people were gathered around the bottles, we all overwhelmingly preferred the Ten Bitter Years. It might have been influenced by the fact that I brought the bottles out late, after we'd all been drinking Ten Bitter Years for a good couple of hours. But still, a pretty nice endorsement!

- A slew of OCB events so far, with a lot more to come. On Sunday, we went to Bryden's to try a lot of Etobicoke beer (Great Lakes, Cheshire and Black Oak.) On Monday, it was off to Stout Irish, to see beer brewed at the patio. Tuesday, the Rhino, with more Great Lakes beer. I have pictures and beer lists of all of these, but all my spare time is going towards attending beer events, not writing about them.

Side note about OCB craft beer week - why is there a complete lack of presence at the LCBO? I know this is a bar-based event, but think of how awesome it would be to be able to taste all OCB beer at your local LCBO at the same time? I keep running into the same people at all OCB events, while the LCBO tastings would attract a fresh non-craft-beer-drinking crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment