Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Beer Boutique


The Craft Brew wall of the Beer Boutique

The newest concept beer store in Toronto is the Beer Boutique - it opened yesterday. I have no idea how, but I managed to scam a VIP invite the previous day, and headed there Monday night to check it out.

And, meh. Colour me slightly unimpressed.

Ok, let me back up. I guess I should be impressed - if only at the contrast with the current Beer Store retail concept. In the Beer Boutique, there's actually lighting. And you can see and touch the bottles. And the floor isn't made up of concrete, and the walls aren't gray. In other words, it actually looks like a retail store, not a warehouse.

Here's why I'm unimpressed. Looking like a retail store is a pretty low bar, by any normal standards. The Beer Store is a piss-poor retail experience, but the Beer Boutique isn't stellar just because it is better than the Beer Store.

What the Beer Boutique didn't have? Interesting bottles. Draft taps. Single bottles. A beer I was dying to try.

I dream of a beer store like City Beer opening in Toronto. Until then, I guess, this is as good as it gets.


I should sound a tiny bit more complimentary, they did pour me some free beer. (Great Lakes Crazy Canuck, if you want to know.) And handed out some free appetizers. Both the beer and the apps were yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment